Welcome to Auslan Signbank
Auslan Signbank is a language resources site for Auslan (Australian Sign Language). Auslan is the language of the deaf community in Australia. Here you will find:
- a dictionary
- ability to search for signs related to medical and health topics
- ability to search for signs related to educational and teaching topics
- videos of deaf people using the listed Auslan signs
- information on the deaf community in Australia
- links to Auslan classes
Users of Auslan—deaf people, deaf students, sign language interpreters, students of Auslan, or a parents of deaf children—are invited to provide feedback to help improve the dictionary, using the links provided. Auslan is growing and changing all the time.
When financial support becomes available, future editions of Signbank will include:
- brand new high resolution video clips that can be played at normal speed or in slow motion,
- longer video clips—subtitled in English—of deaf people telling stories or having conversations in Auslan,
- video clips of all of the examples used in the text-book on Auslan, e.g., how to make questions, statements, orders and requests, etc., (Johnston, T., & Schembri, A. 2007. Australian Sign Language (Auslan): An introduction to sign language linguistics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).