1. To acquire more knowledge about something; to become better informed. Formal English = (be) enlightened.
2. To make someone more aware and informed. English = enlighten.
3. To know a lot about many different things, or a lot about a particular subject. English = (be) knowledgeable.
4. Used to describe someone who has gained a lot of knowledge by studying, and who is respected for this. English = (be) learned.
5. To increase your knowledge about a particular subject by doing a lot of study and learning.